A 20-year-old man died on a train after he mistook a bottle of chemical for water and consumed it. Saurabh, 20, was so engrossed into playing mobile game Player Unknown Battle Ground (PUBG) that he mistakenly drank from a bottle containing chemical instead of the bottle which had water from his bag.
As per reports, Saurabh, who was a resident of Chandrabali Naka Jhansi Road in Gwalior, was travelling onboard the Swarn Jayanti train when the incident occurred. No medical help was available on the train he and his friend Santosh Sharma took to Delhi on Wednesday. His body was later brought to Agra Cantonment railway station at 5 am.
“Sharing details of the incident with IndiaToday.in, Santosh Kumar said Saurabh was busy playing PUBG and did not even look into his bag while fetching the bottle containing water. He picked the bottle containing the chemical and drank from it.
While Saurabh realised after drinking a small amount that he drank chemical instead of water. He called for help and pulled the chain to stop the train. After 10 minutes, a guard came to investigate and told Santosh that there is no doctor on the train.
By the time they reached Agra Cantonment railway station, Saurabh was already dead, according to a doctor. Santosh, who has not been able to recover from the shock, said he will never play the game again.”
Social activist Deep Sharma said the absence of doctors and paramedical staff on the train was surprising as the railway minister had assured proper arrangement of such provisions on trains prying long routes.
He added that there have been many other incidents where train passengers have died as they did not receive any emergency treatment.
Comparing the mobile game with the deadly Blue Whale Challenge, Sharma said, “Earlier, during the Blue Whale game, children have taken dangerous steps like self-murder. In the same way, the dangerous results of PUBG game are coming out. Parents should focus on their children.”
In a recent report, the World Health Organization has declared that gaming disorder is indeed a thing and addiction can cause mental health conditions.
Games can be a good escape but it shouldn’t be an addiction that it takes your life. Don’t get so easily carried away in the virtual world where an island and scavenge for weapons is enough to lose yourself while you’re trying to find a way to survive in the game. Take care.