The Srinagar police today detained Major Leetul Gogoi, who was in news in 2017 for tying a local Kashmiri to a bonnet of his vehicle in Badgam district during a stone-pelting incident.

Later, a statement was issued by the police saying,”Today at 1100 Hrs, Police Station Khanyar received a call from Hotel Grand Mamta that an altercation has taken place at the hotel. Accordingly, a police party was deputed to the hotel, and it surfaced that one woman (name withheld) and person namely Sameer Ahmed of Budgam had come to see some person.

But the hotel receptions did not allow them to meet the person.Meanwhile, police party reached the spot and got all the persons to the Police Station. Subsequently, it was learned that the woman had come to meet an army officer. The identity and particulars of the army officer have been collected by the police as well. The officials were handed over to their unit after due recording of their statements. The statement of the woman is also being recorded for probing the matter”

While the statement clearly says it was a woman (not a minor) who was detained after she came to meet the army official, people were quick enough to spread the news that the army official was caught in a “compromised position with the minor”.

The source of the “news” seems to be a tweet by a J&K based “independent journalist” Ahmed Ali Fayyaz who posted the info saying Major was caught in a compromised position.

The same was then picked up by many Kashmir based local “news sites” like, who attributed the news to Ahmed Ali Fayyaz.

An article by the journalist is still live on Quint where he has attributed every single piece of info to some unknown source.

In the same article, the journalist first claims that Major was found in a compromising position, and later writes that Major Gogoi was found in private hospital.

The tweet by the journalist is now also being widely shared by people on social media without questioning the authenticity or source of his information.

We hope the netizens do a basic fact check before sharing a hoax or “news” from an unauthenticated source just because it aligns with their ideology.

Denying the info provided by the police that the woman and other man were detained when trying to meet the army official, to share a fake news is something not expected from a responsible netizen.

Share your opinion