It’s a storm that’s been raging over Bollywood ever since the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput. There have been accusations, cross-accusations, millions of followers lost for some celebrities who were supposedly a part of the Bollywood elite, secrets revealed by some having information of the inner machinery of Bollywood. From the apparent suicide to theories of murder, Bollywood has seen it all in the last month. And now to add another layer to the complicating plot, Bollywood actor Rhea Chakraborty has been booked on charges of unlawful confinement and abetment of suicide in connection with actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s death.
A four-member team of Patna Police left for Mumbai after the late actor’s father KK Singh, a retired government official, on Tuesday lodged an FIR at the Rajiv Nagar police station in Patna against Rhea and her family under the various sections of the Indian Penal Code, said Sanjay Kumar Singh, Inspector General, central range.
The FIR was lodged on Saturday under IPC Sections 306 (abetment of suicide), 341 (wrongful restraint), 342 (wrongful confinement), 380 (theft), 406 (criminal breach of trust), and 420 (cheating). Patna Central Inspector General of Police Sanjay Singh confirmed the FIR against Chakraborty.
In the six-page FIR, according to the The Hindustan Times Sushant’s father had alleged that Rhea, her family members, and her known associates cheated his son for financial gains by keeping him confined and under pressure after which he finally committed suicide.
He had also alleged that Rhea used to put conditions in films offered to Sushant that he would work in them only if she gets the role of the lead actress. “Rhea got him shifted to a resort from his residence in Mumbai after coming close to her and claiming that his house was haunted. She used to tell Sushant that he talks about weird things and he needs mental treatment. She pressurized him to stay there even after my daughter had tried to bring him back,” he had alleged.
“Rhea later got him shifted to her residence in Mumbai where Sushant was given overdose of medicines. She informed everyone that Sushant was suffering from dengue which he actually never had,” the actor’s father had alleged. He had alleged that Rhea and her family members used to keep Sushant’s cellphone, got his trusted staffs and employees changed and got hired those who were known to her. “She, her family started controlling everything and Sushant’s contact with family got completely diminished,” he said.
“Rhea got Sushant’s cellphone number changed. He was provided with new a SIM card issued on name of one Samial Miranda who was close to Rhea,” he had wrote in FIR. He had also alleged that Sushant had told him on several occasions that he was unable to do anything while they all wanted to put him in a mental asylum. Singh had also alleged that Rs 15 crore out of Rs 17 crore were transferred in last one year from his son’s one of the bank accounts to other bank accounts with which Sushant had nothing to do. In the FIR, Sushant’s father had urged that his son’s all bank accounts and credit cards be investigated to know how much amount Rhea, her relatives and other people known to her had duped from him.
Sushant’s father had also alleged that he actually wanted to shift to Coorg for organic farming by leaving film industry and was also looking for land but Rhea stopped him from doing so.
He had also alleged that Rhea left Sushant’s residence with laptops, cash, jewellery, credit cards, documents related to his treatment on June 8 after Sushant had opposed her and sensing that his bank balance had diminished. Singh further mentions in the FIR that, “Sushant called his sister and told her that Rhea had threatened him to show doctor receipts to the media and would prove him mad. Thereafter, no person would give him work. On June 8 night, Sushant’s secretary Disha committed suicide. Rhea had appointed her as Sushant’s secretary. Later, Rhea blocked Sushant’s number on her cell. Sushant was afraid that Rhea could have made him responsible for his manager’s suicide as she had threatened to frame him in the secretary’s suicide case.”
Sushant’s father had also alleged that he had attempted to talk with Sushant on multiple occasions while being in Patna but Rhea, her family members and her associates didn’t let it happen and nor they allowed his son to return to Patna.
On Monday, the Mumbai Police had recorded the statement of film director Mahesh Bhatt as part of its investigation into the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput. According to The Indian Express, police are set to record the statement of film producer and director Karan Johar later this week.
So far, the Mumbai Police have recorded statements of 40 people so far in connection with the case, including actors, journalists, and those working for the actor. It has also issued summons to several actors in this connection, including Kangana Ranaut.
Parth Pawar, the son of state Finance Minister Ajit Pawar, met state Home Minister Anil Deshmukh on Monday, with a request to consider transferring the probe to CBI. Claiming to have received emails, messages, and phone calls from youngsters in several states, Pawar wrote to Deshmukh: “…the youth of this nation demands a logical and fair closure of this case so that justice is delivered to Sushant.” Adding that he has complete faith in the fairness of Mumbai Police, Pawar said: “…the purpose of justice can be better served by referring the said inquiry to CBI.”
All attention is now fixated on the next step the police takes, and what new facts unveil, from the next few rounds of questioning. A call for a fair investigation to look for foul play is justified given the death of such a brilliant actor took place so soon and suddenly. The guilty, if any, should be charged, and if not, then the clout regarding the conspiracy must be removed. The late actor deserves that peace, in his death.
FIR Copy source